By MICHAEL LETENDRE
MANCHESTER – In the CCC South championship race from Wickham Park in Manchester on Wednesday, Oct. 17, the Bristol Central boys were once again the best the division has to offer.
And in the end – off stern tests from both Middletown and Plainville – Central was still the squad to beat as the Rams took first place with 41 totals points to win the event.
The Blue Dragons came in second (56) and Plainville came in third (71) while Bristol Eastern placed sixth (159) in the seven-team challenge.
“We knew going into today’s race that it was going to be a battle,” said Central coach Tamara Stafford-Kirk. “Middletown, Plainville and Berlin have strong teams and we knew they were after us. I am so proud of this team for gutting it out and winning a sixth conference championship in a row.”
And once again, it was the pace set by Central’s Spencer Johnson that led the way for the Rams as he took top honors and finished the grueling event in 17:06, ahead of second place finisher Jon Jankowski – also from Central – was outstanding and made it in 17:37.
Justin Zaino (5th, 18:14), Jason Zaino (16th, 19:08) and Josh Signore (17th, 10:09) all ran well for the Rams while Jean Rioux (26th, 19:39) and Chris Beaudoin (31st, 20:04) put forth a great effort as Central was once again crowned CCC South champions.
“All seven boys ran personal bests today,” said Stafford-Kirk. “Spencer Johnson worked his way up year after year and won the individual south championship today with fellow captain and good friend Jon Jankoski right behind him.
“It was a great day.”
Eastern also had some solid finishes as Max Girouard took home 19th place for the Lancers (19:09) while Anthony Casasanta placed 29th at the competitive event (19:56).
Also for Eastern, Rich Franklin (36th, 20:42), Mitchell Lipka (37th, 20:58), Cooper Madden-Hennensey (38th, 21:08), Gilbert Roy (39th, 21:23) and Charles Bush (40th, 21:30) all ran for the Lancers.
For the season, Central went 14-1 overall and were a perfect 14-0 in CCC South action.
CCC Championship Wickham Park, Manchester
Boys Race: CCC South Team Results
Bristol Central 41; 2. Middletown 56; 3. Plainville 71; 4. Berlin 77; 5. Maloney (Meriden) 147;
6. Bristol Eastern 159; 7. Platt (Meriden) 193.
Records: Bristol Central 14-1 overall; 14-0 CCC South
Boys CCC South Championship Race – Individual results for Bristol Central:
Place Runner, School, Time
1. Spencer Johnson, Bristol Central 17:06
2. Jon Jankoski, Bristol Central 17:37
5. Justin Zaino, Bristol Central 18:14
16. Jason Zaino, Bristol Central 19:08
17. Josh Signore, Bristol Central 19:09
19. Max Girouard, Bristol Eastern 19:18
26. Jean Rioux, Bristol Central 19:39
29. Anthony Casasanta, Bristol Eastern 19:56
31. Chris Beaudoin, Bristol Central 20:04
36. Rich Franklin, Bristol Eastern 20:42
37. Mitchell Lipka, Bristol Eastern 20:58
38. Cooper Madden-Hennensey Bristol Eastern 21:08
39. Gilbert Roy, Bristol Eastern 21:23
40. Charles Bush, Bristol Eastern 21:30