Victim in fatal fire on Redstone Hill Rd. identified

The man who died in last week’s fire on Redstone Hill Road has now been identified.
The Bristol Fire Department reports that 64-year-old Pasquale Mastroianni, who lived in Unit 27, died from smoke inhalation.
Last Monday, the fire department received a phone call around 3:55 p.m. about a fire that broke out at 295 Redstone Hill Road. Firefighters found Mastroianni in the living room of his first-floor unit, where there was extensive damage.
Fire Marshall Robert Grimaldi said the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation, but the origin of the blaze was found in Mastroianni’s kitchen area, and no suspicious activity was reported.
Grimaldi said it appeared that the man’s unit did not have a smoke detector installed, and warned residents the importance of having one that is properly installed and functioning properly.
“We didn’t have any evidence of smoke detectors,” said Grimaldi, adding that it appeared that the fire alarm was removed at one point.
Meanwhile, some other units were affected by smoke but with no structural damage, said Grimaldi. The American Red Cross helped find a place for Bristol Observer editor Mike Chaiken, who was displaced from his unit located above Mastroianni’s. In addition, the Bristol community reached out to Chaiken through a fund started by a local resident, and made donations during a fundraiser organized at Marilyn’s Pub last Friday.
“The community has stunned me with the outpouring of support,” said Chaiken during an exclusive interview with the Bristol Observer. “I never expected and would never ask for this kind of help although it’s much appreciated, and probably much needed. It’s all odd for me personally since typically I write about these stories.”
Chaiken said there was a “heavy smell of smoke” in his unit even though it did not have any flame or water damage. Chaiken said his unit is currently in “complete disarray,” and needs a lot of cleanup with broken glass and broken furniture. He also reported that two of his doors and windows are gone.
“I was able to rescue most of my valuables after the fire was beaten back down,” said Chaiken, who is currently residing temporarily at the home of a friend in Bristol.
Chaiken added that he did not know much about his neighbor Mastroianni, who moved to the condo unit last summer.
“He didn’t interact with many of his neighbors,” said Chaiken. “There were some nights where there were loud arguments emanating from his unit.”