St. Paul tops Housatonic to move forth in states

BRISTOL – On a collision course with Thomaston High School in the cards, the St. Paul girls basketball team is already rolling through the postseason.
Earning a first round bye as the squad’s number two seed, the Falcons went into second round action in the Class S fray against Housatonic, a squad that played .500 ball just about all season long.
However, the team racked up a 51-36 first round upset over No. 15 Parish Hill but could lightning strike twice – this time in a showdown against the second best seed in all the Class S bracket?
That question was pretty much decided over the first couple possessions of the first quarter.
The postseason is always the portion of the season the Falcons crave and on Thursday, March 5, St. Paul took care of business and took down No. 18 Housatonic by a 63-29 final from the Maltby Street Gymnasium in Bristol.
If the Falcons, 18-4 after the second round victory, went on to defeat No. 10 Immaculate this past Monday in Bristol and No. 3 Thomaston was a victor over No. 11 Windsor Locks, a rematch between the two finalists on March 13 at a site to be determined was a lock.
Against Housatonic, the Falcons didn’t roll out much of a welcome mat and took a double-figure lead just eight minutes into action and never turned back.
Every one got involved offensively for St. Paul as Jillian Kilmer led the way with 11 points and eight rebounds.
There was a little McMan-mania as well as Kelly McMahon dropped in two three-pointers and came away with eight points.
Emily Sklenka had eight points, Maddie Sturm collected six points and six rebounds while Mekaela Giantonio added six points.
The Lizzys were heavily involved as well as Lizzy Ferraro nabbed six points while Lizzy Cretella  flipped in five.
Lauren Benoit flashed in four points and Brigid Johndrow supplied three to lead the charge.
Chole Dakers scored 13 points in the losing effort for Housatonic (12-12).
The Falcons slammed the door shut on the game early and off a 19-point first period effort, the home team led by 14 and the tone of the contest was set.
Again, St. Paul ran the points up on the scoreboard in the second and off an 18-7 jaunt, the Falcons were in charge by a 37-12 push.
The Falcons notched two 13s over the final two quarters of play – taking an imposing 50-21 lead into the fourth period before capturing a 34-point, second round victory to move onto the quarterfinal round.