On July 27 at its monthly meeting, the Board of Fire Commissioners commended the following Bristol firefighters: Deputy Chief Robert Poggio, Lieutenant John Ingellis, Lieutenant William Mason, Firefighters Christopher Belonick, Jason Dufour, Brian Plourde, and Michael Valenti, for their actions while extinguishing a structure fire at 87 Meadow St. in the early morning hours of May 15.
A press release from the department explained that at about 3:25 a.m. on the morning of May 15, the Bristol Fire Department was dispatched to the report of smoke on the second floor of 87 Meadow St., a three-story apartment building consisting of 18 units, six apartments per floor.
First arriving fire department units found a fire on the second floor in apartment B-5, said the press release. The crew of Tower 1 (Ingellis, Belonick, and Dufour) were assigned to conduct a search of the apartment for any trapped victims. During the search, the release explained, Ingellis and Belonick found the occupant of apartment B-5 unconscious on the floor, having been overcome by products of combustion, smoke and toxic gases. Ingellis and Belonick removed the victim to the second floor hallway at which time Belonick and Dufour carried the victim down two flights of stairs and out of the building. The release said Belonick and Dufour began providing patient care until emergency medical personnel arrived on scene and relieved them.
After transferring patient care to emergency medical personnel, the release said Belonick and Dufour, along with the crew of Engine 2 (Mason, Plourde, and Valenti) observed another second floor occupant trapped and in need of rescue. Working quickly and efficiently, the release explained the group raised a ladder to the second floor window and removed the occupant.
Throughout the fire, the release said, Ingellis remained on the second floor of the building, safeguarding the remaining second floor occupants within their apartments. Ingellis had determined that conditions in the 2nd floor hallway had deteriorated to a point that it would have been unsafe to remove the occupants through the hallway to the interior stairs.
Deputy Chief Robert Poggio was the incident commander for this fire, said the news release.