Spring Street closed by fire and downed line

A downed power line during today's storm caused a fire that temporarily shut down Spring Street.

A downed power line during today’s storm caused a fire that temporarily shut down Spring Street.

By TAYLOR HARTZ
STAFF WRITER

A fire sparked on Spring Street this morning when heavy snowfall brought down a power line. A main line beside The Step Saver building at 213 Spring St., home to The Observer, came down just before 11 a.m.

The fire melted a long line of snow alongside the building, and held a steady blaze as the Southington Fire Department arrived at the scene.

Spring Street was closed off by the police department, as firemen worked to secure the area until the fire could be put out.

“The weight of the snow took down the branch which ended up knocking down the primary line,” said Southington Fire Department fireman Eric Heath, “It burnt through the snow, so it’s obviously still energized.”

The fireman said that workers had contacted Eversource and were waiting for the power company to shut down the line from a local breaker.

Heath said the department was also working to determine which building is fed by the downed wire. The fire department cannot touch the wire or put out the fire until the power supply is turned off.

“For now we’re just blocking the area, keeping it safe, and getting an apparatus on scene in case it does cause an electrical fire in one of the buildings,” said Heath.

Photos by TAYLOR HARTZ

[portfolio_slideshow id=18475]

Click to enlarge

untitled (1 of 7)untitled (2 of 7) untitled (3 of 7) untitled (4 of 7) untitled (5 of 7) untitled (7 of 7)