Bristol police have started a special holiday patrol to address the issues of theft and robbery in the community.
According to a press release from the Bristol Police Department, the goal is to “prevent robberies and increase the rate of apprehension.” Robbery Intervention Detail (RID) will kick off on Nov. 25 and continue through the end of the year, the release said. With the holiday season in full swing, theft and robbery tend to increase in many communities, police said in the release. Officers have been assigned to RID and will provide proactive patrols in robbery prone areas, the release said. RID will focus on convenience stores, shopping malls and banks, the release said.
Police are reminded shoppers with the following tips to help keep them safe during the holidays.
- Stay alert when shopping.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially when walking to your car.
- Keep cash and credit cards out of sight.
- Be aware of strangers that approach you.
- Do not leave valuables unattended in shopping carts or vehicles.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- While using an ATM, choose a safe location.
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement.