St. Paul slips past Watertown

WATERTOWN – When you have a bona fide on-field warrior directing your football squad, then your chances of winning a close game are not only real, but extremely possible.
And with the game on the line, St. Paul quarterback Logan Marchi made one final charge to seal Watertown’s fate and propel the Falcons to a 32-29 come-from-behind victory from the John J. Mills Complex in Watertown on Friday, Sept. 20.
It was the first win of the season for the Falcons (1-1).
Trailing 29-24 late, St. Paul fashioned that last drive, leading to Marchi with the ball in his hands to close it out.
However, Marchi wasn’t looking to throw it for a victory.
He looked to score six the hard way.
In the end, Marchi made a tough five-yard jaunt into the end zone for six points and off a two-point conversion –  Daiji Fitzpatrick took in a pass from Marchi – the Falcons wrapped up a 32-29 win.
Marchi ended the contest connecting on 20-of-36 passes for 353 yards and three touchdowns.
He did throw two interceptions but with the game on the line, Marchi made all the big plays to secure the victory.
Reid Morin led the Falcons with eight receptions for 144 yards and two touchdowns while Fitzpatrick added four receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown.
Eli Parks added 21 yards on the ground while Marchi made his last rush of five yards count for the game-winning score.
For Watertown, the squad racked over 300 yards in its ground game and that’s how the Indians hung around at the event.
Anthony Yordon zipped up 205 yards off 28 rushes while Raheim McNeil added nine carries for 87 yards.
But those gains only got Watertown so far as St. Paul went to the air to secure a halftime lead.
Trailing 7-0 after one period of play, the second stanza was a back and forth affair in a battle of who can get the halftime edge before time expires.

The victor of that exercise was St. Paul.
Morin took in a 25 yard pass from Marchi to get on the board and later, Fitzpatrick notched a 57 yard touchdown reception to keep pace.

Finally, Morin collected a 21 yard TD pass from Marchi and at the half, the Falcons were ahead in the thing by a 24-23 edge.
After a scoreless third period of play, Watertown retook the lead to open the fray in the fourth.
A.J. Cattaneo pushed in a one-yard score and quickly, the Indians went in front 29-24 as time was running out in the game.
But Marchi made one last dash into the end zone – his five yard rush to close the game out – as St. Paul was a 32-29 victor.
Comments? Email